This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Friday, April 26, 2002

That's Not a Growth, It's My Son.

Remember how I said D finally seemed like a separate person? Well, D disagrees.

D has a fairly busy schedule, though we've managed to avoid booking him to within an inch of his life like some parents do. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, he's at his nursery school in the mornings (without me), and on Friday afternoons he goes to a parent-toddler group at a special developmental school (with me). So today, we headed to the school, and I'm assuring him the entire time--from the moment we started cleaning up the house--that I'll be with him during school. To no avail. CLING! like static on a dress just before a hot date. (Yes, I'm a guy; haven't we got beyond sexism in choice of metaphors, people?) I'm talking arms around my legs with titanic force. This continues (well, except for when he's strapped into his car seat) even when we're in the classroom and I'm clearly not going anywhere. He's screaming, crying, and not leaving my side. I get a weird juxtaposition of feelings when this happens:

  • He loves me so much! I'm important!
  • Gawd, I wish he would stop crying.
  • Is he going to keep screaming for forty minutes if I leave?
  • Cannot breathe. Arms tight around neck. Passing out...

Finally--remembering that the nursery school folk said he was fine immediately after I left, I bolted for the teachers' lounge and had a Kit Kat and a Coke, leaving him in the teacher's care, and when I returned, he was indeed fine.

It's all in the anticipation, I guess.

No comments: