This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Sunday, August 18, 2002

Young and stupid... isn't it great?

The other night, by a tortured series of references, I got to thinking about Theater-on-the-Pond, a tiny theater company I worked for right after college. The tortured series of references was as such: I said, "Hello, little girl" whilst holding E, which made me think of the number "Hello, Little Girl" from Into the Woods, which is sung between Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf, which made me think of the adaptation of Little Red Riding Hood that I wrote for, you guessed it, Theater-on-the-Pond.

Saying that I "worked for" ToP (as we called it) is misleading. More accurate might be to say that I helped found it, except that it had technically started the year before (and didn't exist the year after). It was up at a resort in Maine, Embden Lake Resorts, so for the whole summer we had a built-in clientele, even though we had almost no support from the resort itself. Case in point: I wrote the play (as well as the other children's show we did, Stone Soup) by candlelight, in a unfurnished, un-electrified, un-watered cabin that we all shared for half the summer. (The second half, we shamed the owner into letting us have an unused cabin that had a stove and a shower.) Those were the days... all of us acting, directing, building sets, with the threat of scandalous sex always around the corner. (As far as I know, it never happened... at least not to me, anyway.)

There were six of us--Brent, Julie, Mike, Miranda, Kathleen, and me. I was the only one who had just graduated; the rest of 'em all had a place to go the following year.

...to be continued in the next entry...

No comments: