This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Thursday, June 20, 2002

Meta-blogging (sorry, Alex). A friend yesterday (hi, Tony!) mentioned that he followed the links at the bottom of my email signature, to look at what was on my home page and my animation page. It got me a little nervous, for the silly reason that my home page contains a small link to this blog.

A couple of friends of mine do indeed know about Rooster Spice, but they live far away, and the only person near me who knows about it is my wife, K. It doesn't really bother me. I'd feel rather odd saying "Hey, check out my online diary!" to people I see on a semi-regular basis. I suppose it'd be no different than if I were a newspaper columnist and my friends argued over a recent point I made. But, of course, I'm not a pundit (nor do I play one on NPR) and I blog less about issues and more about my life.

So, if, for instance, I get really down on the world and someone 'round here reads it, will they call me, worried that I might do myself harm? One person has already sent me a cheer-up card because, I assume, of what I wrote in this blog. (I don't think he's reading it anymore, but I may be misjudging the referral logs.) In any case, I get nervous whenever I see someone coming to Rooster Spice from the link on the home page; I think, "Oh God, which of my relatives is it?" Funny, the public faces we show to people around us, and how certain thoughts best left "private" somehow find their way into the most public of forums, the Internet.

Mind you, it's not as though I'm blogging to Yahoo or anything. The very magnitude of the Internet--and the likelihood of most people never seeing one particular blog--makes it seem more anonymous, even if it's just an illusion.

Ultimately, despite my pilgrimages to Site Meter and my never-ending quest for links, I'm writing this blog for myself, as both exercise and sometimes therapy. If no one read it... well, of course I'd be disappointed, since all art is audience-dependent (or should be), but I've written something (nearly) every day for almost three months now, and I wouldn't give that up. Hell, maybe I'd write a novel on Rooster Spice.

But not today.

I shall now remove my cornea from my navel...

No comments: