This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Friday, July 05, 2002

How accessible are you? Go here: AnyBrowser campaign. A strike against the "Best Viewed with XXX" trend. As my favorite browser is iCab, I've been kicked out of many sites that require Netscape or Internet Explorer (iFilm) or simply don't work with a lesser-known browser (Blogger--gasp!). So I throw my full support to the AnyBrowser campaign here at Rooster Spice.

To that end, in my brand-new DarwinOS machine, I turned on Lynx, a text-only browser (or as I like to think of it, "an elegant browser, for a more civilized age"), and tested whether or not certain sites were viewable in text-only format. Blogger's front page was comprehensible, but as with iCab, it was impossible to post anything. Site Meter, surprisingly, was fully accessible, though the heavy use of tables made it difficult to read.

As for my Blogs of Approval, I'm happy to report that Rooster Spice itself (you know, the one you're reading right now) was fully viewable in Lynx, and not that hard to read, either. Other easily-accessed blogs include nosuch.org and Anti-Linear Brain. The Suburban Limbo was readable, but because of his page layout, one has to scroll past all his links before getting to the content. Sadly, Dilettante was completely unreadable--it showed up as a blank screen. (Come on, Mike--I know you want the command-line geeks to read your stuff too. Put a fire under your web designer's ass!) The remainder has not been checked yet.

In any case, I encourage all of you to examine your pages and make sure that you've got alt-text for your images, <noscript> tags if you use JavaScript, and for goodness sake, give us an alternative to Flash menus! That is all.

No comments: