This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Monday, May 20, 2002

What I really want to do is direct. Saturday I worked for the 48 Hour Film Project. No, I didn't make it myself, but I helped out for some friends of mine. I know a lot of people at Washington Improv Theater, and they entered and were accepted, so I volunteered to be their sound man. I had never done sound for film before, but I had a great time.

We got a call from them at 11:30 PM Friday--they had found out their genre (detective/cop) at 6:30 that evening, but they didn't CALL 'til then and I don't know why. Rex and I arrived at the Congressional Quarterly offices--the first location--at 7:30 AM. It was raining like mad, and I was mostly wet because Rex's van's passenger side window is stuck open.

Rex was techincally listed as set designer, but I think he mostly wound up being General Grunt/Guy in Background. I was holding the boom mike for all the shots, so I never got to be an extra, alas. But if you can hear the words--that's all me, baby.

What they don't tell you in film school is that holding a boom mike for fourteen hours straight really hurts. My shoulders, if I continue to do this in the future, will be rippling and ripped. And as if I didn't lose enough sleep, Rex and I (okay, it was my fault) got lost on the way home and I didn't get back 'til 11:30. We also witnessed a near-accident between two bullheaded, stupid drivers.

I had volunteered to help out with the music and post-production the following day. They didn't call. I was grateful.

The showing is Wednesday night at 7 and 9:15, Visions Cinema-Bistro. Anyone in the DC area, check it out, a butt-load of films under twelve minutes, all made in two days or less. Not a bad concept, eh?

Of course, they're threatening to call me again for the next one...

Oh, I don't know if these are open to the public, but here are some pictures from the shoot. I'm the haggard-looking guy in the fifth picture. No, wait, we're all haggard-looking. I'm wearing the headphones.

No comments: