This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Saturday, May 11, 2002

Does whatever a spider can.... Went to see Spider-Man tonight, and man, what a picture! Except for one detail (albeit a major one), it's pretty well true to the original comic book stories, which pleased me, as I was a big Spider-Man fan in my youth. But who really cares about that? As a film, it was a triumph! Even Willem Dafoe as the Big Bad Guy didn't overact his part (or at least, not unforgiveably). Tobey Maguire was just perfect. And they were faithful to the original story, which is a big thing, since it was such a great story to begin with.

It's a great thing that it was directed by Sam Raimi, who was pretty much directed independent films to this point--there was a very strong grounding in character. Of course, Spider-Man always had much more of its share of character than most traditional comics. I'm glad they didn't scare away from that.

I want to see it again already. I can't remember coming out of a big-budget film with such joy in my heart. I turned to K and said, "I wannna be Spider-Man!" And I do!

No comments: