This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Tuesday, September 10, 2002

Still thinking about it. I guess at some point every blogger has to do a commemorative post about September 11, so this is mine. I just don't feel honest enough to do it justice, though I suppose I'm more morally clean than all the television producers who are making a buck on 3,000 deaths.

All of my friends are radical pacifists who say that we didn't respond appropriately afterward. Well, they're entitled to their opinion. But I think that attitude is as stupid as saying "Well, we should continue negotiating with the Japanese" on December 8, 1941.

I can't stand George Bush and most of his policymakers, and I think the concept of a war with Iraq is fundamentally flawed. But I still, a year later, want our military to hunt down the organization that did the attack and kill them. If that makes me a warmonger, so be it. It's good enough for al-Quaeda.

I still believe the attacks weren't just an act of terror, but an act of war. I'm too tired to be articulate and, as I said, I didn't lose anyone in the attacks, nor was I near the Trade Center or the Pentagon, so I don't even have a right to an opinion in some sense. But every time I hear some radical leftist (and I used to be one myself!) say that WE'RE to blame for the attack, or get worked up over innocent deaths in Afganistan...

Why the fuck didn't you get worked up over the innocent deaths in New York, Virginia, and Pennsylvania? Is it only bad to kill innocents outside the U.S.? Or is it only bad for Westerners to kill innocent people--everyone else gets a pass? And maybe, just maybe, 9/11 wasn't the fault of shortsighted policy, but the fault of the 19 (or more) twisted people out to kill us for no other reason than our nationality?

No comments: