This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Friday, August 03, 2007

Here's what I was going to say.

One more issue has not to do with the iPhone itself, but with the services Apple has advertised as working with it.

I'm speaking of the free push IMAP email from Yahoo!, of course. Now, I've never used any kind of push email system before. I have no basis for comparison. But Yahoo's taking a hell of a long time to get a mail I sent to myself--and if you don't get mail immediately after it's sent, well, what's the point of push email at all?

Were I someone who needed ultra fast email, I'd go back to my POP account. As it is, I may do that anyway.

Does someone who has used push email before have any insight on this? This isn't a limitation of the IMAP system, is it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the way the Blackberry handles email is what you mean by "push email" .. but..

My BB gets my mail nearly instantly (except for that little outage with my personal mail I blogged about earlier - which seems to be fixed now).

I use my blackberry to get email from:
1) Exchange (work email)
2) Gmail, and
3) Pair (using IMAP) for a bunch of my domains.

It's immediate or nearly so for all 3. And when it's immediate, it's like MAGIC.

Btw, I am not a Blackberry partisan - if Apple were targeting the iPhone to business users (which they're not) and had the functionality I needed, of course I'd prefer them - their interfaces are usually superior.

But the Blackberry's had 8 years or so, and the interface is decent and it works for work as well as for my personal stuff.