This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Friday, November 03, 2006

Slug Power!

Godfrey asks:
Excellent! How big of a hard drive did you stick onto it?
Well, I bought a 300 GB drive the other day. My original idea was to use that one for backups for both Macs and then use another partition for the Slug. However, after further research, I nixed that idea... backup is too important to relegate to a toy, and I'm not sure the slug would even work with HFS+ partitions. So yesterday I went to Staples and bought a 40 GB, self-powered USB 2.0 drive (for the princely sum of $30 after rebate), and unslung to that.

First order of business was to change my default shell to bash (as opposed to the built-in busybox). Then I installed the native development tools, and now I'm installing--or attempting to install, anyway--mDNSResponder, so my Macs will recognize the Slug via Rendezvous/Bonjour. (In other words I'll be able to ssh to slugpower.local rather than some IP address.)

I am a bit teed off about one thing: according to the Slug Wiki, most modern slugs come "pre-overclocked"; that is, running at the native 266 mHz. Yet mine appears to be one of the older ones: it's running at half-speed, 133 mHz. Grrr. I really wasn't looking forward to cracking open the case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, the resistor's really easy to pull off. I used an X-Acto knife to weaken the leads, then just pried it off with a small jeweler's screwdriver.

Squelch said...

It's the whole "voiding the warranty" thing that's got me nervous.