This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Tuesday, October 28, 2003

The integral of geek.

A recent Singing Potatoes has reminded me just how glad I am that I use Mac OS X. But as if that wasn't enough, I went and turned my old iMac into a GNU/Linux box over the summer.

My primary motivation was so I could port some of my Cocoa programs to GNUstep, but since I haven't actaully released any Cocoa programs yet, that may be a little premature. My second motivation was so I could use LyX to write a novel, but as LyX is also available for OS X, that's a trifle unneeded to say the least.

How much have I used GNU/Linux since I installed it? Almost never. Part of this is 'cause I kept OS X around on that machine as a dual-boot solution, and I've been busy with other projects that require Mac OS X on two machines. But the rest, I suppose, is because I am brainwashed by the Man into believing that I can only work on proprietary systems. Dammit, I should write MY OWN animation software instead of using someone else's non-free software, even if it is perfect for my temperament!

Speaking of novels, if anyone would like to read my effort from last year's NaNoWriMo--you know, the one that nearly forced me into a mental hospital--it's now online in a handy portable text format. Be warned, it's an unfinished novel; 15,000 words of 50,000 required. But some of it's actually pretty good, I think. (Karen: if you read it, feel free to count it as one of the fifty books.)

I haven't decided whether or not I want to go insane this year... only a few days left to weigh the pros and cons.

No comments: