This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Thursday, June 16, 2005

The usual.

I'd love to be able to get worked up about politics and eroding privacy and creeping fascism. But how can I get worked up about troubles in our country's public life if I can't even handle my own private life?

This morning was another day of losing my temper and taking it out on my kids. E fell and scraped her knee a little bit. She's extremely pain-averse since she chewed her toenails down to the root a couple weeks ago. Now even the tiniest injury makes her wail and cry. She is only two and a half, after all.

But I couldn't distract her or make her laugh to defuse the situation, no. I just plowed on ahead (we were walking D to his summer camp and on a deadline). So naturally she got more upset the more we walked. I wound up carrying her all the way home after dropping D off, getting more and more angry the whole time.

There's a little more to it than that of course, but what's the difference? The point is, all I could do was get angry. I couldn't stop and calm myself down. Actually, I did try to; but after getting calm, E refused to move, and I got angry again. When we got home, I put her in her room for her own safety. I was drenched with sweat and shaking with rage.

K says I should take an anger management class, and maybe I should. But like a typical male I feel I should be able to fix this problem on my own.

Posts like this are why I keep this blog pseudonymous, so there's no danger my family will Google me and get themselves worried for my (and my kids') safety. Unfortunately, much of my family and a few friends already bookmarked this stupid blog back before it went pseudonymous, and they're my only readers.

So--why am I pressing the "Publish" button?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Because acknowledgement of and talking about issues (whatever the issues are) with other human beings is an initial step on the path?

(And yes, I do think that online discussion and even just online writing can be useful/helpful... especially for Introverts.)

K is right, I think - we can't solve big problems all on our own and you know that it's a hurtful societal myth that you should be able to.

(Not that I have any good solutions, mind you - I have a couple of Issues that I'm not dealing with *and* not really talking about much either...)

Medley
uncorked.org