This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Business trip.

Tomorrow's the big day; leaving for Dam Short Film Fest. And as always happens just before a big trip, I'm wondering why I'm doing it. All expenses paid--by me. No money involved (though to their great credit, Dam Short does provide a $75 travel stipend, and one of their sponsors is providing me with a free hotel room). And almost no chance of winning any awards (I tend to do well at new festivals, and not so well at established ones).

All this... for a hobby, essentially.

Now, I know that it's a great privilege to be able to Follow My Art in such a fashion, and that I should be grateful that I'm well enough off to do so. But that, essentially, is my point.

For you see, there are so many other artists out there who are so much better than I am. In fact, they're so much better that they get paid, professionally, to animate. Which means they don't have time to make their own films, let alone travel to festivals. So why am I allowed to do so?

Sigh...

Anyway, I'll be leaving from Dulles tomorrow evening. Maybe I'll make the evening reception tomorrow night, but I doubt it. I'm not even sure if I'll bring my laptop, so don't watch this space for updates.

No comments: