This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Thursday, March 10, 2005

Bloat.

I've had to battle "gigabyte creep" on my laptop's hard drive. Not a big surprise, really, for someone who works in video as much as I do. Them movies is expensive. Anyway, I deleted some of the usual suspects: animations which I had finished, old versions of WAV files that have been replaced, and I got rid of a couple gigabytes that way.

Then, I cast a baleful eye on my applications folder, and in particular my cherished WWII first-person shooters. I mean, I love Battlefield 1942 (2.8 GB), Call of Duty (2.2 GB), and Medal of Honor (1.7 GB), but this machine (our only one powerful enough to run them) is after all supposed to be my work computer. But doesn't all work and no play make Jack a dull boy? Ah, the pain! My mouse pointer hovered over the games...

I took one last look around my home folder, and saw a nondescript directory labeled "Final Cut Express documents." Ah, yes, the detritus of my video editor. So how much is that, I wonder?

Click. "Get Info." Oh, 17 gigabytes.

Seventeen gigabytes?! What am I doing, editing Lawrence of Arabia?

At least now I know what to get rid of. That is, if I can archive all this stuff.

No comments: