This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Joining the game.

So I bought an iPod the other day. No, not an iPod shuffle--my one sacrifice to non-comformity is that I stay One Cool Thing Behind, so I went for an iPod mini. The shuffle is cool and cheap, but half my reason for wanting a music player of any kind was to be able to play specific songs--say, something I just wrote--over my stereo immediately. And the shuffle wouldn't cut it for that.

Plus, I already owned a mini dock. Don't ask why.

It's a nice little machine. And my gosh, the click wheel has got to be the best piece of human interface design on the planet. It was beyond intuitive. It was instinctual.

Unfortunately, as anyone who knows me will realize, I'm not a headphones kind of person. Oh, sure, I'll wear them if I'm working on music or gaming. But when I'm out and about, I find my music in the ambient noise of the world. (Ooooh, purple prose!) Listening to a Walkman (I always think of them as Walkmen--I'm a child of the '80s) is such an inherently anti-social act, and frankly it repulses me, unless I really want to be alone. But even then, as I said, I'd rather listen to the birds chirp, the cars drive by, the boomboxes next door pound--

Oh, wait. That's why I bought it.

2 comments:

Laura said...

But what color did you get??

I got a mini for Christmas (but bought and started using it in October), and I love it. (I also am very very impressed with iTunes... it's quite a powerful tool.) You're right, the click wheel is amazing. I don't wear it walking around in public, either... I agree, that would seem very strange and isolation-ish. But I use it all the time at home, while doing chores and stuff, or working on projects away from my computer. (Except in the car, I don't like to play music out loud; I like it to be private.) And on long boring bus/airplane rides, it's invaluable!

Squelch said...

I got silver. I'm too boring to go for anything more interesting.

That's a good point about the bus rides. On the bus ride back from campaigning in October I would have loved to just read my book and block out the movie they played. Even if if it did star Denzel. I don't usually travel much, though.