This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Tuesday, June 22, 2004

Late for America.

What do you call a political activist who shows up late for rallies?

I'm sorry, I don't have the answer to this riddle, unless it's "Squelch."*

Since voter verification is very dear to my heart, I decided to drag D and E to a rally for passage of the House bill to mandate it; it was today at noon in front of a House office building. We took the Metro, of course, because D's nuts about it, and since it was noon, I packed bag lunches for all of us, which I thought was a very progressive thing to do, even if one of the lunches was a meat sandwich.

Between trying to find a parking spot at the station, and then disembarking at Union Station instead of Capitol South (I thought it would be a nice walk, which it was, and also faster, which it wasn't), we got there forty-five minutes late. It was still going on, though. Then D informed me that he needed to use the potty, and when a four year old says that, you jump. So, off to find the stroller-accessible entrance, through the security, into the bathroom and the washing of hands, out again, and ta-da! the rally was over. We didn't even arrive in time to see Medley's spirit.

Just as well, really, as by that point the kids were so tired and hungry that even extremely entertaining oratory wouldn't have kept them from crying--D was actually just sitting whenever we stopped walking. So I found us a picnic table in a shady spot and we had lunch, then back home via the Metro we went, slightly more politically aware--or at least, more scheduling aware.

*Actual political activism not included.

No comments: