This is Zach's personal blog. If you're looking for his movies, please click here. Otherwise, have fun!

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Is anyone reading this?

An open letter to my friends who support Kerry:

There's been a lot of talk about how Bush is ahead in the polls in key states, and how Kerry needs a minor miracle (or a major one) to pull this out. Now, this could all change with tonight's debate. But I'm starting to get a sense, here in D.C., that the conventional wisdom is that the race is over.

If you don't want that to happen--if you believe, as I do, that a second W. administration would spell disaster for the country, both now and in the future--or even if you believe simply that he's done a poor job and Kerry would do better--put your money where your mouth is.

And I'm not talking about contributions, though that would be nice. I'm talking about volunteering. There's a way to do it no matter where you are. If you live in a swing state, sign up to go door-to-door. If you don't, sign up to make recruitment calls (I did this, and it's really quite painless), or travel to a swing state (I will be doing this, if I can help it).

It goes without saying that we can't give up now. What doesn't go without saying, but should, is that it's up to us. Dean taught me that, when most of his contributions came from people like me. He didn't get the nomination, but he changed the way I think about politics.

I will not stand by, I told myself once the primaries were over. W. may well steal the election, he may even win outright, but I promise myself this: I will be able to look myself in the mirror and say, "I did not let this happen; I worked so this wouldn't happen; and no one can ever say I didn't."

Don't you owe yourself the same promise?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.

Although, I have to just scoff at the CW (read: Democratic party hack handwringers) bemoaning before the debate that the race is over. Allow me to channel Lewis Black and say WHAT IDIOTS!!

Look, the incumbent is below 50% approval, below 50% RTWT, and the challenger is within a few percentage points as of late September. The race is NOT OVER.

In addition, the Democrats have been doing 2:1 or better voter registration this cycle, the state polls in the 'swing' states are looking good for Kerry, and the Democratic base (diverse as it is) is energized as never before.

On top of all that, John Kerry has a longterm reputation as a GREAT CLOSER and if the CW-philes (don't mean you, mean the establishment types) weren't so enamored of their own pontification and could think back more than two days to December and January, they'd remember that they have witnessed it with their OWN EYES in the primary!!

60+ million people watched Chimpy McSmirk fidget, squirm, and be unable to string a sentence together this week. And they watched John Kerry demonstrate professionalism, steadiness, intelligence, command of the facts, and, yes, resolve. I'm no Kerry fan (he'll do), but he impressed me in the debate (what parts I could bear to watch).

I'm still cautiously optimistic. Bush and his cronies need to go.

Let's get it done.

Medley
http://uncorked.org/medley/